4 of a family burnt in ‘gas leak’ fire in Dhaka’s Mugda

Four of a family were burnt in a fire believed to have been originated from gas leakage in Dhaka’s Mugda area this morning.

The injured Sudhanshu Boidya (35), his wife Priyanka Baroi (32), their son Arup Boidya (5), and Priyanka’s mother Shefali Rani Baroi (55) — were taken to Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery.

All of them are in a critical state, said SM Aiyub Hossain, resident surgeon of the burn institute.

Priyanka’s brother Palash Baroi said his sister’s family came to his house in the Dakshin Mugda area from Shariatpur a couple of days back for Sudhanshu’s treatment.

The house was engulfed by flames as Priyanka went to the kitchen and attempted to light the gas stove to boil water, he said quoting the injured.

Ibrahim Khalilullah, a sub-inspector of Mugda Police Station, said they suspected that the fire originated after the leaked gas accumulated in the kitchen came in contact with the spark of matchstick.

Most of the valuables of the house were burnt and windows were shattered, he said.